A score for congestive heart failure ("CHF score") was used for analysis of the patients enrolled in the Coronary Artery Surgery Study (CASS).
(1) medical history
(2) drug therapy with digitalis
(3) drug therapy with a diuretic
(4) rales on physical examination
history of CHF
therapy with digitalis
therapy with diuretic
rales on physical examination
CHF score =
= SUM(points for parameters present)
• minimum score: 0
• maximum score: 4
• The higher the score, the more likely heart failure is present.
• The patient's in the CASS studies were preselected for heart disease. Some variables like diuretic use or presence of rales might be less predictive in the general population.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Purpose: To evaluate a person for evidence of congestive heart failure (CHF) using the score from the CASS reports.
Objective: risk factors, severity, prognosis, stage, complications, selection