Guo et al reported the MuLBSTA score for predicting mortality in a patient with viral pneumonia. The authors are from multiple institutions in China.
MuLBSTA is an acronym for score parameters.
Patient selection: viral pneumonia
(1) multilobar infiltrate (Mu)
(2) absolute lymphocyte count (L)
(3) bacterial coinfection (B)
(4) acute smoker (S)
(5) hypertension (T)
(6) age in years (A)
absolute lymphocyte count
> 0.8 * 10^9/L
<= 0.8 * 10^9/L
age in years
< 60 years
>= 60 years
total score =
= SUM(points for all 6 parameters)
• minimum score: 0
• maximum score: 20
• A score >= 12 was associated with high risk for mortality within 100 days.
• The sensitivity was 77% and specificity 78%.
• The area under the ROC curve is 0.81.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Purpose: To identify a patient with viral pneumonia who is at increased risk for mortality using the MuLBSTA score of Guo et al.
Specialty: Infectious Diseases
Objective: severity, prognosis, stage