The World Heart Federation (WHF) reported criteria for the echocardiographic diagnosis of rheumatic heart disease in pediatric patients. One task is to study changes in the aortic valve.
Patient selection: age <= 20 years of age
Pathologic aortic regurgitation – all of the following:
(1) aortic valve regurgitation seen in 2 views
(2) regurgitant jet length >= 1 cm in any view
(3) regurgitant jet velocity >= 3 m/s for one complete envelope
(4) pandiastolic regurgitant jet seen in at least one envelope
Morphologic features of aortic valve – total number present:
(1) focal thickening or irregularity
(2) coaptation defect
(3) restriction in leaflet motion
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.