The amount of flatus released can be reduced by taking several steps to limit the amount of gas reaching or being generating in the colon.
Steps to avoid release of flatus:
(1) If intolerant for certain foods (lactose, fructose, etc), then either avoid those foods or find a way to reduce the amount of problem material.
(2) Limit intake of foods associated with increased flatus production.
(3) Limit intake of drinks with dissolved gases (beer, soda, etc).
(4) Avoid activities associated with aerophagia:
(4a) Eating in a hurry.
(4b) Chewing gum.
(4d) Drinking through a straw.
(5) Increase intake of foods that reduce flatus (see below).
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Nutrition, Gastroenterology