The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) provides criteria for grading peanut butter.
Textures of peanut butter:
(2) medium (grainy texture)
(3) chunky or crunchy
Types of peanut butter:
absence of defects
flavor and aroma
• Color is determined by comparing to color standards for various shades of brown.
• Roasting of the peanuts can impact the final color.
• Consistency is measured with the temperature 70 to 80°F.
total score =
= SUM(points for the 4 parameters)
(1) Grade A (Fancy): scores >= 90 out of 100 AND no substandard features
(2) Grade B (Choice): scores 80 to 89 out of 100 AND no substandard features
(3) substandard (SStd): scores less than 80
Additional factors to consider:
(1) dispersion of any added ingredients
(2) oil separation
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.