van Kerrebroeck et al listed problems affecting urine storage in the bladder. A urine output diary and urodynamic studies may be necessary to identify the conditions affecting a specific patient.
Problems affecting storage of urine in the bladder:
(1) bladder outlet obstruction with inability to completely empty (with post void residual urine)
(2) bladder irritation or hypersensitivity
(3) detrusor overactivity (neurogenic, non-neurogenic)
(4) reduced nocturnal bladder capacity
(5) reduced functional bladder capacity (resection, pressure from obesity, pregnancy, etc)
(6) urogenital “aging”
• An age > 60 will be used in the implementation as an indication of aging.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Nephrology, Clinical Laboratory