Clonal Hematopoiesis of Indeterminate Potential (CHIP) is one of the conditions that can give rise to an unexplained hematologic disorder in an older adult. It is associated with risk for progression.
Features of CHIP:
(1) older adult (typically >= 65 years of age)
(2) cytopenias are absent
(3) dysplasia is absent
(4) clonal or molecular aberration: present
(5) cytogenetic abnormalities: variable
(6) bone marrow blasts less than 5%
(7) not explained by other hematologic or non-hematologic disorder
• A molecular aberration is defined by MDS-related mutations and an allelic burden >= 2%.
• Odds of progression are 0.5 to 1% per year.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Hematology Oncology