The umbilical vessels normally are coiled within the umbilical cord. Neonates with increased or decreased coiling of umbilical vessels have a higher frequency of perinatal difficulties.
umbilical coiling index =
= (number of umbilical vessel coils) / (length of cord in cm)
• index < 0.065: hypocoiled
• index > 0.319: hypercoiled
• index >= 0.065 and <= 0.319: normocoiled
• hypocoiled cords are associated with increased fetal heart disturbances and need for interventional deliveries
• hypercoiled cords are associated with increased premature deliveries and a higher rate of maternal cocaine usage
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Obstetrics & Gynecology