The possibility of trichinosis may not be considered when someone eats raw meat from a reptile.
Trichinella organisms have been found in:
(1) the Nile crocodile in Africa
(2) saltwater crocodile in Southeast Asia
(3) turtles in Southeast Asia
(4) brown lizard in Southeast Asia
Implicated species: T. papuae (for Papua New Guinea) and T. zimbabwensis
(1) fever, myalgias, malaise and periorbital swelling
(3) history of eating raw reptile meat
(4) positive laboratory evidence for Trichenlla (serology, PCR, etc)
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Infectious Diseases