Premature infants are at risk for transient adrenal insufficiency.
(1) very low birthweight preterm infant (often < 30 weeks)
(2) concurrent illness including respiratory distress
(3) hypotension refractory to usual interventions (fluids, inotropes)
(4) rapid improvement after administration of corticosteroids
(5) exclusion of sepsis and other causes of shock
Mechanism: immaturity of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis with failure of the adrenal glands to produce enough cortisol
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Pedatrics, Endocrinology