Some people experiment with an alternative therapy and may ignore warnings about health risk.
Reasons why a person may believe that experimentation is safe:
(1) able to share experience with and learn from others, sometimes having a cult-like or secret network
(2) believes that decisions are well-informed
(3) take some steps to ensure a safe or at least better source
(4) have a history of using alternative therapies (for performance, appearance, intoxication, etc)
Reasons why experimentation may lead to adverse effects:
(1) inaccurate or incomplete information
(2) presence of contaminants
(3) variation in potency
(4) narrow therapeutic ratio
(5) serious adverse effects
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Pharmacology, clinical