Mitsui and Kembo developed a clinical score for evaluating the severity of asthma. This can be used to monitor the response of the child to therapeutic interventions.
(1) Mitsui and Kembo used the score in adult asthmatics.
(2) Obata et al used the score to evaluate young children < 5 years of age.
(2) wheezes heard without stethoscope
(3) auscultation of rales
(4) speech impairment
(6) mental status
ability to be supine
audible without stethoscope
auscultation of rales
speech difficult or impossible
clinical score =
= SUM(points for all 6 parameters)
• minimum score: 0
• maximum score: 10
• The higher the score, the more severe the episode.
Severity of Episode
0 – 3
4 – 6
7 - 10
• The score shows good reproducibility.
• A high score correlated with hypoxemia, but a low score does not exclude hypoxemia.
• The score shows a good correlation with PaCO2.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.