Uveitis can occur as an immune-based reaction following placement of a tattoo.
(1) delayed allergic reaction to a component of the tattoo ink with T cell activation
(1) The onset of visual symptoms following placement of a tattoo.
(2) The tattoo site shows inflammation (with granulomatous response seen on biopsy).
(3) An eye exam shows uveitis with or without macular edema.
(4) The uveitis improves with systemic immunosuppression and/or excision of the implicated tattoo.
(5) The patient may have a history of other allergic or immune disorders (asthma, psoriasis, etc).
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Ophthalmology, Infectious Diseases, Immunology/Rheumatology