Summation for maximum diameters in varicose veins is an easy and accessible method for measuring the severity of varicose veins. The authors were from Paris, France.
7 regions defined for each lower extremity:
(1) proximal thigh
(2) mid thigh
(3) distal thigh, to knee
(4) proximal lower leg, from knee
(5) mid lower leg
(6) distal lower leg, to ankle
sum of maximum diameters =
= SUM(maximum diameter of a varicose vein in mm for each region)
maximum diameter of varicose vein for a lower extremity =
= MAX(maximum diameters for the 7 regions)
• The higher the scores, the more severe the varicose veins.
Performance in study compared to specialist scores:
• correlation coefficient for maximum diameter in extremity: 88%
• correlation coefficient for summation of maximum diameter in each region: 94%
• percent well-classified based on maximum diameter in extremity: 83.2%
• percent well-classified based on summation of maximum diameter in each region: 85.62%
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.