Suicide by detonating an explosive is an uncommon means of committing suicide.
A primary factor limiting its use is accessibility, with explosives having restrictions on their use.
Groups who might use an explosive to commit suicide:
(3) miner or construction worker
(4) someone with access to fireworks
In combat a soldier may lie on a hand grenade as a means to protect comrades (altruistic suicide)
Placement of the explosive:
(1) in the mouth or on the head, resulting in CNS trauma
(2) against the chest, causing cardiothoracic trauma
The scene investigation is important:
(1) to identify the explosive
(2) to exclude the possibility of a masked homicide
(3) to exclude an accidental detonation
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Clinical Laboratory