Suicide Behaviors Questionnaire-Revised (SBQ-R) is used to screen a patient for the risk of suicide.
The questionnaire consists of 4 questions:
(1) Have you ever thought about or attempted to kill yourself?
(2) Have you thought about killing yourself in the past year?
(3) Have you ever told someone that you were going to commit suicide, or that you might do it?
(4) How likely is it that you will attempt suicide someday?
Response Question 1
it was just a brief passing thought
have had a plan at least once to kill myself but did not try to do it
I have had a plan at least once to kill myself and really wanted to die
I have attempted to kill myself, but did not want to die
I have attempted to kill myself, and really hoped to die.
Response Question 2
rarely (1 time)
sometimes (2 times)
often (3 or 4 times)
very often (5 or more times)
Response Question 3
yes, at one time, but did not really want to die
yes, at one time, and really wanted to die
yes, more than once, but did not want to do it
yes, more than once, and really wanted to do it
Response Question 4
no chance at all
total score =
= SUM(points for all 4 questions)
• minimum score: 3
• maximum score: 18
• A score >= 7 in the general population is at risk for suicide.
• A score >= 8 in an inpatient psychiatric population is at risk for suicide.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.