A patient with a craniopharyngioma is at risk for sudden death if certain complications occur.
Causes of sudden death may include:
(1) acute obstructive hydrocephaluswith acute cerebral edema
(2) atherosclerotic heart disease (secondary to hyperphagic hypothalamic obesity)
(3) QTc prolongation and/or cardiac arrhythmia
Premorbid presentations may include:
(1) acute onset of abnormal behavior (disinhibition, psychosis, other)
(2) signs of increased intracranial pressure (headache)
(3) morbid obesity
It is important to exclude other causes of death.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Clinical Laboratory