A patient with alopecia may experience stigma as a result.
Factors about the alopecia influencing stigma:
(3) appearance of exposed scalp
(4) ease of concealing
Patient related factors:
(1) occupation requiring attention to youth and appearance from companies offering a solution
(2) age and gender
(3) presence of other health conditions
(1) representation in media or advertisements
(2) cultural attitudes
(3) general knowledge about alopecia
For males, stigma for alopecia may overlap with age bias.
For females, stigma is influenced by self-image of attractiveness.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.