Status asthmaticus is a presentation for severe acute asthma.
(1) an acute exacerbation of bronchial asthma
(2) severe ventilatory obstruction progressing to respiratory failure
(3) failure to respond to appropriate initial therapy, typically nebulized bronchodilating agents
(1) This is a medical emergency.
(2) The patient may need to be intubated and admitted to the intensive care unit.
(3) The patient is at increased risk for drug toxicity.
• There is considerable variation between authors in the definition of status asthmaticus.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Purpose: To diagnose status asthmaticus in a patient with asthma.
Objective: clinical diagnosis, including family history for genetics, severity, prognosis, stage, complication detection