Solbiati et al developed a simple index for evaluating an enlarged lymph node based on dimensions determined during ultrasonography.
(1) longitudinal length of the lymph node in mm (L)
(2) transverse diameter of the lymph node in mm (T)
Solbiati index = L/T ratio =
= (longitudinal length) / (transverse diameter)
• A ratio >= 2.0 is usually associated with benign processes.
• A ratio < 2 is usually seen with malignant processes.
• According to Vassallo et al, a lymph node with a diameter < 8 mm is associated with false positives.
• Micrometastases cannot be detected by any imaging system, although the level of detection is constantly improving..
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Hematology Oncology, Clinical Laboratory