The sinus tarsi (talocalcaneal sulcus) may be associated with a syndrome presenting as lateral ankle pain.
Anatomic boundaries of the sinus tarsi:
(3) talocalcaneonavicular joint
(4) posterior facet of the subtalar joint
(1) pain in the anterolateral ankle or lateral aspect of the calcaneus
(2) worsening of pain after exercise or while walking on an uneven surface
(3) feeling of instability with pronation and supination of the subtalar joint
(1) repeated lateral ankle sprains
(2) repeated hyperponation of the foot
MRI will detect most issues and is noninvasive.
Arthroscopy may detect more problems and allows for some interventions.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Surgery, orthopedic