Some veterinary medications can be abused by humans. An animal owner may consider this may be a safe route to obtaining a controlled substance.
Drug selection: controlled substance or drug with abuse potential
The signs of drug misuse are similar to those for human medications.
Possible signs of drug misuse:
(1) requesting a higher dose of a medication
(2) complaining that the animal's condition is getting worse
(3) requesting more frequent refills
(4) suggesting that the veterinarian prescribe a controlled substance
(5) showing signs of drug addiction
(6) claiming to have lost a prescription
(7) saying that a non-controlled medication is ineffective
A barrier to veterinary drug misuse is that an animal must show appropriate signs and symptoms.
If the drug is being diverted, then hair testing on the animal should be negative for the drug.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Pharmacology, clinical