A woman with diabetes may experience sexual dysfunction. Management requires identifying and correcting the contributing factors.
Features of the sexual dysfunction:
(1) decreased vaginal lubrication resulting in dyspareunia
(2) decreased interest in sex
(3) delayed arousal
(4) increased time needed to reach organism
Factors contributing to the sexual dysfunction:
(1) depression and/or anxiety
(3) relationship problems
(4) diabetic peripheral neuropathy
(5) diabetic autonomic neuropathy
(6) drugs (beta-blockers, antidepressants, etc)
(7) urinary tract infection with incontinence
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Purpose: To evaluate a woman with diabetes for evidence of sexual dysfunction.
Specialty: Obstetrics & Gynecology
Objective: clinical diagnosis, including family history for genetics