The energy loss index (ELI) can help to identify severe aortic stenosis.
(1) effective aortic valve area in square cm
(2) aortic area at the level of the sinotubular junction in square cm
(3) body surface area (BSA) in square meters
energy loss index =
= (aortic valve area) * (aortic area) / (((aortic area) - (aortic valve area)) * (BSA))
• An energy less index < 0.6 square cm per square meter BSA indicates severe.
• The aorta at the sinotubular function is defined as small if the diameter is < 2.60 cm.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.