Sandvik et al developed a simple severity index for urinary incontinence in women. This can be used to initially evaluate a patient and to monitor the response to interventions over time.
(1) how often urine leakage is experienced
(2) how much urine is lost each time
How often is urine leakage experienced?
less than once a month
1 to several times a month
1 to several times a week
every day and/or night
How much urine lost each time?
a few drops
severity index =
= (points for frequency) * (points for amount)
• minimum score: 0
• maximum score: 8
• The higher the score, the more severe the urinary incontinence.
Degree of Incontinence
Median Urine Leakage in 48 Hours
Median Leakage Episodes in 48 Hours
1 or 2
3 or 4
5, 6, 7, or 8
after Hanley et al, page 1096
• A score of 5 or 6 may be referred to as severe and 7 or 8 as very severe (Sandvik et al, 2000).
• Hanley et al found the index to be reliable, valid and sensitive for a wide range of women in Scotland.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Nephrology, Clinical Laboratory