A patient with leprosy who shows one or more physical findings should be referred to an ophthalmologist for evaluation. These criteria were reported at an ILEP supported meeting.
(1) lagophthalmos (any gap) on mild lid closure
(2) visual acuity
(3) red eye
(4) facial patch due to leprosy
6/18 or better
present for less than 2 weeks
present for >= 2 weeks
• The visual acuity is at 18 meters (other visual acuity measurements use 60 feet as the reference distance).
total number of screening criteria present =
= SUM(points for all 4 parameters)
• minimum number of screening criteria: 0
• maximum number of screening criteria: 4
• If 1 or more screening criteria are present, then the patient should be referred for an examination by an ophthalmologist.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Ophthalmology, Infectious Diseases