Meier and Berger reported a simple score for identifying a patient who may be a nonresponder to hepatitis B virus (HBV) vaccination. The authors are from University of Basel in Switzerland.
Patient selection: hepatitis B virus vaccination
(1) body mass index in kg per square meters
(2) age at primary hepatits B immunization
(3) smoking status
<=25 kg per sq m
25.01 to 30
> 30 kg per sq m
age at primary HBV vaccination
< 30 years
30 to 40 years
> 40 years
1 to 9 cigarettes per day
>= 10 cigarettes per day
total score =
= SUM(points for all of the parameters)
• minimum score: 0
• maximum score: 6
• A score >= 2 had a sensitivity of 72% and specificity of 65% for nonresponder.
• A score >= 4 has a sensitivity of 47% and specificity of 86%.
• A patient with a higher score may be a candidate for detection of HBs-IgG antibodies.
• The area under the ROC curve is 0.74.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Infectious Diseases