Rarely a uterine or ovarian artery may spontaneously rupture during or after pregnancy.
Patient selection: pregnant or recently pregnant female
(1) sudden onset of abdominal pain
(4) falling hemoglobin levels
(5) variable fetal distress (if pregnant)
(6) absence of trauma or surgery (spontaneous)
Some patients may have evidence of:
(1) an aneurysm in the affected artery preceding the event.
(2) sickle cell disease
(3) hereditary defect of connective tissue (Ehlers-Danlos, Marfan, etc)
(1) rupture of the splenic artery
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Obstetrics & Gynecology