The size of a dietary portion can be estimated using the hand of an adult.
1 - 2 ounces of pretzels or nuts
cupped hand (with fingers)
3 ounces of cooked fish, poultry or meat
palm of the hand (without fingers)
1 ounce of cheese or meat
length of the thumb
distal half of the thumb from interphalangeal (IP) joint to tip
distal index finger from distal PIP to tip
• 1 cup = 8 ounces
• 1 tablespoon = 0.5 ounces
• 1 teaspoon = 0.333 tablespoon = 0.167 ounces
• 1 ounce US liquid measure = 29.57 mL
• 1 ounce US avdp = 28.349 grams
• The hand and fingers vary in size for different individuals and with age.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.