Infant colic can be diagnosed using the Rome IV criteria.
Patient selection: infant, typically 1 to 4 months old
Diagnostic criteria for infant colic:
(1) age < 5 months when symptoms start and stop
(2) recurrent and prolonged periods of infant crying, fussing and/or irritability
(3) symptoms occur without obvious cause
(4) symptoms cannot be prevented or resolved by caregivers
(5) no other sign of illness (afebrile, etc)
For clinical research symptoms should last for >= 3 hours per day for >= 3 days per week.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.