The Rome II Conference provided criteria for the diagnosis of functional diarrhea.
(1) >= 12 weeks duration out of the past 12 months, not necessarily consecutive
(2) liquid, mushy or watery stools
(3) present > 75% of the time
(4) no abdominal pain
(5) exclusion of other causes of chronic diarrhea without abdominal pain (lactose intolerance, etc.)
(1) pseudodiarrhea (frequent defecation with urgency and solid stools)
(2) irritable bowel disease
Findings which should prompt a more extensive workup:
(1) large volume of stool
(2) rectal bleeding (other than from hemorrhoids)
(3) nutritional deficiency
(4) weight loss
(5) abdominal pain
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Purpose: To evaluate a patient for evidence of functional diarrhea using the Rome II criteria.
Objective: criteria for diagnosis