Both chest pain and heartburn may be functional disorders. Criteria for their diagnosis were provided by the Rome II conference.
Shared criteria - both of the following:
(1) A duration of symptoms >= 12 cumulative weeks over the past 12 months (may or may not be consecutive).
(2) Exclusion of other causes following a complete examination.
(1) pathologic gastroesophageal reflux
(3) other esophageal motility disorder with recognized pathologic basis
Distinguishing criteria for functional chest pain:
(1) nonburning midline/retrosternal chest pain or discomfort
Distinguishing criteria for functional heartburn:
(1) burning midline/retrosternal chest pain or discomfort
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.