Stephen et al identified factors associated with a false negative sestamibi scan prior to surgery for a parathyroid adenoma. The authors are from Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.
(1) size of the adenoma
(3) percent of oxyphil (mitochondria rich) cells in the adenoma
(4) gender of the patient
Factors associated with a false negative scan:
(1) small adenoma
(2) located in a higher position
(3) low percent of oxyphil cells
Factors associated with a true positive:
(1) larger (heavier) adenoma
(2) located in a lower position
(3) high percent of oxyphil cells
(4) female gender
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Endocrinology, Clinical Laboratory, Orthopedic Surgery