A neonate may suffer an ischemic stroke if certain perinatal conditions are present.
Hypercoagulable state in either the mother or fetus:
(1) Factor V Leiden (G1691A), which is associated with Activated Protein C (APC) Resistance
(2) Prothrombin G20210A
(3) protein C deficiency
(4) protein S deficiency
(5) antithrombin III deficiency
(7) elevated homocysteine
(8) lupus anticoagulant
(9) antiphospholipid antibody
(11) plasminogen defect
(12) Factor VIIIc
Infection in the fetus related to:
(3) prolonged rupture of the membranes
(4) other infection
(1) black race
(2) male gender
(4) twin-twin transfusion
(5) congenital heart disease
(7) mutation in procollagen IVa1
(8) pulmonary hypertension
(9) neonatal hypoglycemia
(10) extracorporal membrane oxygenation (ECMO)
(11) intrauterine growth retardation
(1) infertility therapy
(2) autoimmune disease
(3) preeclampsia or eclampsia
• A mild protein S deficiency occurs during pregnancy.
• Screening the mother for cocaine and/or methamphetamine abuse may be considered if all of the above are absent.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Pedatrics, Neurology