A number of risk factors may contribute to the onset of postpartum psychosis.
Risk factors for postpartum psychosis:
(1) history of psychosis or bipolar depression
(2) medications and/or drugs of abuse
(3) sleep deprivation or disruption
(4) autoimmune disease, especially thyroiditis
(5) Caesarean section or forceps under general anesthesia (post-operative psychosis)
(6) stress, including perinatal and neonatal complications and absence of husband in peripartum period
(7) severe infection (sepsis, etc)
Identification of a trigger can guide management and preventive strategies for future pregnancies.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.