A physically active person or athlete may have unexpected hypertensive. This is important to identify since this can impact which activities that the person can participate in.
Racial and genetic factors:
(1) Black race
(2) family history of hypertension
(3) family of premature cardiac disease
(4) male gender
(1) high levels of stress
(2) high salt intake
(1) drugs associated with hypertension
(2) diabetes mellitus
(4) renal disease
(5) obstructive sleep apnea
Substance abuse or stimulant issues:
(1) high alcohol intake
(2) use of anabolic steroids
(3) use of cocaine, amphetamines or other illicit drugs
(4) use of sympathomimetic drugs for weight loss or as a decongestant
(5) nicotine abuse
The person should undergo a complete evaluation. If a reversible cause cannot be found then the person may need to receive appropriate drug therapy.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Surgery, orthopedic, Cardiology