Pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) is associated with exercise intolerance. This can impact the patient's quality of life.
Risk factors for exercise intolerance:
(1) severity of PAH
(3) heart failure
(4) right ventricular dysfunction
(5) arterial oxygen desaturation
(6) anemia (often iron deficiency)
Changes seen on exercise testing:
(1) reduced peak oxygen uptake
(2) early anaerobic threshold
(3) reduction in peak exercise work rate
(4) reduction in heart rate reserve
(5) ventilatory inefficiency (increaed VE to VCO2 ratio)
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.