A patient may develop entropion due to scarring following an acute or chronic insult to the eyelid.
Risk factors for cicatricial entropion:
(1) chemical burn (alkali, other)
(2) Stevens-Johnson syndrome involving the eye
(3) ocular pemphigoid
(4) trachoma or bacterial conjunctivitis
(5) trauma to the eyelid
(6) animal attack
(7) surgery affecting the eyelid
A patient with one or more of these factors should be treated promptly and be monitored afterwards.
Factors increasing the risk:
(1) history of hypertrophic scar or keloid
(2) severe tissue damage
(3) contaminated wounds
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.