A number of conditions may predispose a person to invert and sprain an ankle.
Typical athlete: running or other activity requiring walking or running
Risk factors for injury:
(1) high body mass index (BMI)
(2) heel varus (bent inward)
(3) history of a previous ankle history, especially if incompletely rehabilitated afterwards
(4) ligamentous instability at the ankle
(5) peroneal muscle weakness
(6) decreased ankle dorsiflexion
(7) uneven surface
(8) problem with balance while walking or running
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Surgery, orthopedic