Amiodarone can cause pulmonary toxicity. The risk increases if certain risk factors are present.
Risk factors for amiodarone pulmonary toxicity:
(1) higher dose, either as daily dose and/or cumulative dose (see below)
(2) male gender
(3) older age (will arbitrarily use age > 60 years in the implementation)
(4) pre-existing lung disease
(5) ethnic or racial predisposition
(6) therapy with supplemental oxygen at high concentration and/or with mechanical ventilation
Doses and durations associated with risk for pulmonary toxicity:
(1) >= 400 mg per day for >= 2 months (cumulative dose >= 24 g, or 144 g/year)
(2) >= 200 mg per day for >= 2 years (cumulative dose >= 146 g)
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Pulmonology, Pharmacology, clinical