A renal subcapsular hematoma may occur in a person engaged in exercise or sport. It may go unrecognized if imaging studies are not performed.
Risk factors associated with triggering hemorrhage:
(1) contact sport with blow to a kidney
(2) accident or fall
(3) use of an exercise machine (vibrating back massage, twister machine)
(4) other vigorous movements
Risk factors associated with tendency to bleed:
(1) renal tumor
(2) renovascular malformation
(3) hereditary or acquired bleeding disorder, including anticoagulation
(1) back pain, typically renal colic
(2) hemodynamic instability if large
(1) blood density on CT or MRI in renal subcapsular location
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Surgery, orthopedic, Nephrology