Renal dysfunction may complicate infection with Loa loa.
Types of renal disease:
(1) immune complex glomerulonephritis (especially after chemotherapy)
(2) collapsing focal segmental glomerulosclerosis (associated with hypermicrofilaremia)
(3) granulomatous tubulointerstitial nephritis
The patient may present with:
(1) renal failure
(2) severe hypertension
(3) proteinuria, including the nephrotic syndrome
(1) other forms of renal disease
(2) nephrotoxic drug effects
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Infectious Diseases