Discontinuation of an hypnotic may be followed by rebound insomnia.
The severity of rebound insomnia varies with different hypnotic agents. It tends:
(1) to be greater with certain agents such as short-acting benzodiazepines
(2) to be worse if discontinuation is abrupt
(1) dependence and withdrawal
(2) rebound anxiety
(1) continuous use of an hypnotic for a long period of time should be avoided
(2) non-pharmacologic interventions to improve sleep should be emphasized
(3) comorbid conditions (pain, depression, anxiety, sleep apnea) need to be addressed
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Pharmacology, clinical