Most tablets are not coated. Whether or not to coat a tablet, and what to coat it with, depends on a number of factors.
Indication to coat a tablet:
(1) to mask the odor or taste of the tablet
(2) to make the tablet more aesthetic appearing. This may range from simple masking to providing a range of colors.
(3) to provide a better printing surface
(4) to provide chemical and physical protection from environmental damage
(5) to control release of the active drug
(6) to protect the tablet from gastric acid or pancreatic juices with an enteric coating
(7) to supply a second drug as an outer shell
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Pharmacology, clinical