The ratio of immature to total neutrophil count may indicate the presence of a significant infection in a neonate.
(1) white blood cell count
(2) absolute total neutrophil count
(3) absolute immature neutrophil count
total absolute neutrophil count =
= (percent mature and immature neutrophils) * (white blood cell count per µL) / 100
ratio of immature to total neutrophil count =
= (absolute immature neutrophil count) / (absolute total neutrophil count)
• The ratio may range from 0 to 1.
• A normal neonate may show a ratio around 0.11 during the first 48 hours after delivery.
• An increase in the ratio may be present with an occult infection.
• A ratio > 0.8 indicates that there is depletion of the myeloid reserves within the marrow. This finding may precede death in a septic neonate.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.