Moutsopoulos et al developed a questionnaire for screening patients with SLE for xerostomia. The authors are from NIH.
The instrument consists of 9 questions dealing with:
(1) fluids with meals
(2) food sticking in mouth or throat
(3) ability to eat dry crackers without water
(4) decrease in taste
(5) keeping a glass of water by bed
(6) waking up to drink water at night
(7) keeping water nearby
(8) dry mouth
(9) increased dental caries
total score =
= SUM(points for all 9 questions)
• minimum score: 0
• maximum score: 9
• Xerostomia is present if the score is 5 or more.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Otolaryngology, Immunology/Rheumatology