Abuse during childhood and adolescence can have a negative effect on a person's physical, psychological and emotional development. This can impact the person's adult life.
Type of abuse:
Physical consequences depend on the location and extent of injuries. Neglect can result in preventable health issues (dental caries, vaccination status, etc).
(1) post-traumatic stress symptoms and emotional effects: fear, anxiety, depression
(2) behavioral effects: risk of becoming an abuser when older
(3) substance abuse or co-dependency
(4) poor role model; may not know what normal is
(5) poor self-image
(6) poor relationships, with lack of trust and fear of intimacy
(1) socio-economic deprivation
(2) education and opportunities
(3) running away from home
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.