Chronic constipation can affect the quality of life for patients, many of whom have multiple comorbid conditions. Relief of constipation can improve the patient's outlook on life significantly.
Impact of constipation:
(1) physical demands of straining with incomplete evacuation
(2) bloating and/or discomfort
(3) abdominal distention
(4) loss of appetite
(5) nausea and vomiting
(6) emotional distress and frustration
Each of these factors can be graded from none to severe.
The patient's quality of life will be impacted if:
(1) one or more of these factors is marked
(2) two or more are moderate in severity
(3) most of the factors are present to some degree
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.