Therapy with a drug containing 5-aminosalicylic acid (5-ASA) can rarely result in pulmonary toxicity.
(1) Mesalazine or Mesalamine (trade name for 5-ASA)
(2) Sulphasalazine or Sulfasalzine (SASP = 5-ASA with bound sulfapyridine)
Common indication: inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis)
(1) eosinophilic pneumonia (with eosinophilia in the peripheral blood and broncho-alveolar lavage)
(2) interstitial pneumonia
(3) interstitial fibrosis
(1) onset of respiratory symptoms (low-grade fever, cough, pulmonary infiltrates on chest X-ray) after starting drug therapy
(2) reversal of respiratory symptoms after drug discontinuation over several weeks
(3) variable need for corticosteroids with severe airway inflammation
(1) infectious pneumonia
(2) pulmonary complications of the inflammatory bowel disease
(3) other forms of interstitial or eosinophilic pneumonia
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Pulmonology, Clinical Pharmacology