The American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) outlined principles for off-label use of a drug.
(1) The safety of the patient is the primary concern.
(2) The use of a drug off-label should be based on a thorough, unbiased and ongoing review of the published evidence.
(3) A protocol for using the drug should be developed if the off-label use is expected to occur frequently.
(4) The Pharmacy and Therapeutics (P & T) Committee should provide oversight to off-label drug use.
(5) The ultimate responsibility for off-label use resides with the prescriber.
(6) A prescriber should consult with a pharmacist knowledgable about the drug when necessary.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Pharmacology, clinical